Dear Canadians drinking bottled water,
I can't comprehend why any Canadian would routinely buy bottled water. Unless you live in one of the many First Nations communities in Canada with water problems, or your community has a water advisory, you will have a hard time convincing me that making a habit of buying bottled water is a good idea. Canada has the best supply of water in the world, yet many feel compelled to regularly spend there hard earn dollars on water they can otherwise get for free, from a local source. Our water is safe.
Trucking water half way across this massif country in individual serving bottles does not make sense. This has real impacts, both to your pocket book and to the environment. The transport obviously creates unessary emmissions from the trucks carrying the water, and the individual serving sizes make inefficient use of shipping space. Recycling programs and deposit based refundable programs do help reduce the impact of the bottled water industry, however the process still has an impact. Transporting the empties and recycling the bottles into other products still requires energy, and the process of melding the Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) bottles releases toxins into the air when making recycled goods. Eventhough the bottles can be recycled, recycling bins are not always readily available. Many bottles end up in landfills or are littered about. PET bottles do not break down easily.
I can not claim to know a lot about the bottled water industry, but I do know many Canadians buy into it. I respect that there are occasions where it is hella convenient to have bottled water, and I am by no means suggesting an out right ban on bottled water, but people have some common sense. Nor am I frowning on all those that don't carry around a reusable bottle. If you happen to find yourself thirsty and too far from a water fountain or cup and tap, buy a bottle. If you are planning a large event that requires water, consider other options. Perhaps water coolers and compostable cups.
If you insist on buying bottled water, especially those who make a habit out of it, consider +1 Water. +1 Water bottles are not made of PET and fully compostable within 50 -90 days, and recyclable in places where community compost progarms do not exist. Twenty percent of their profits are donated to charities that bring safe drinking water solutions to communities around the world. Their water is currently sourced from Quebec. As there is more demand for +1 Water in other regions the business is committed to start bottling from sources local to the demand to continue to be sustainable with competitive prices.
Sincerly green,
Tim
Trucking water half way across this massif country in individual serving bottles does not make sense. This has real impacts, both to your pocket book and to the environment. The transport obviously creates unessary emmissions from the trucks carrying the water, and the individual serving sizes make inefficient use of shipping space. Recycling programs and deposit based refundable programs do help reduce the impact of the bottled water industry, however the process still has an impact. Transporting the empties and recycling the bottles into other products still requires energy, and the process of melding the Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) bottles releases toxins into the air when making recycled goods. Eventhough the bottles can be recycled, recycling bins are not always readily available. Many bottles end up in landfills or are littered about. PET bottles do not break down easily.
I can not claim to know a lot about the bottled water industry, but I do know many Canadians buy into it. I respect that there are occasions where it is hella convenient to have bottled water, and I am by no means suggesting an out right ban on bottled water, but people have some common sense. Nor am I frowning on all those that don't carry around a reusable bottle. If you happen to find yourself thirsty and too far from a water fountain or cup and tap, buy a bottle. If you are planning a large event that requires water, consider other options. Perhaps water coolers and compostable cups.
If you insist on buying bottled water, especially those who make a habit out of it, consider +1 Water. +1 Water bottles are not made of PET and fully compostable within 50 -90 days, and recyclable in places where community compost progarms do not exist. Twenty percent of their profits are donated to charities that bring safe drinking water solutions to communities around the world. Their water is currently sourced from Quebec. As there is more demand for +1 Water in other regions the business is committed to start bottling from sources local to the demand to continue to be sustainable with competitive prices.
Sincerly green,
Tim

11 Comments:
Dear Tim,
Smoke some more pot, Hippy.
And once that stage is complete, pause to consider what other environmental travesties are going on all around you every day. I suggest looking into the environmental impact of the massive pig farms in the northern United States that routinely contaminate the natural aquifers of our mother earth. This is not to mention the horrific serial-execution of the prime eating stock, the mother sows, the little piglets so cruelly dashed upon the stones.
Phase three is to clean up Sudbury and Halifax harbor, stop tar sands exploitation, and fix the American voting machines to prevent another tragic 4 years.
The final stage is to once more smoke a doob to consider the good work you have done, experience the warm and fuzzy feeling of having made a difference; and reflect amiably upon my comment having accepted me as sarcastic, not malicious.
Peace Tim,
Mikey
Dear Mikey:
Funny you mentioned pot. Is that organically sourced pot?
And not that electricity-stealing, mildew-causing, energy-eating, fertilizer-water-polluting, police-sourced-garbage-bag-filling inferior stuff?
I mean, at least it's domestically sourced and not being flown in from Columbia or Afghanistan.
Cheers,
L.
I hear that stuff impairs your driving now.
-m
BC outdoor. Tastes like pine trees
BC beetle-infested pine trees?
I'm sorry. I guess I'm just bitter that my genetics basically eliminate any chances I have at impairment.
luv,
Your designated driver.
(greenhouse-gas causing. Did I forget that one?)
Dear Tim,
Fuck you're awesome buddy. I think bottled water is horribly wasteful and stupid too.
-Matt
Tap water tastes like poor people.
Poor people, or people that are too smart to pay for something that they can get for free?
And the award for most intense and dare I say educational Dear Blank post goes to...
That was awesome.
When do I get my award delivered? I'll accept nothing less than an in person ceremony, presented by none other than Rob.
And for those in Toronto, they carry +1 Water at:
The Big Carrot
348 Danforth Ave
Toronto ON M4K 1N8
416-466-2644
http://www.thebigcarrot.ca/
Noah's Natural Foods
322 Bloor St. West
Toronto ON M5S 1W5
416-968-7930
Whole Foods Market
Hazelton Lanes
87 Avenue Roadj
Publish Your Comment
Toronto, ON
416-944-0500
For those not, I suggest moving here. I miss you all.
Mikey, your totally right there are more serious issues out there, this one struck me on that day and makes no sense. The rant helps me cope.
P.S. The harbour does stink in Halifax, thankfully the Harbour Solutions Project is now under way... want to join me for a swim in August?
Post a Comment
<< Home