Dear Valentine's Day,
Fuck you, and all those who revel in your commercialized glory. Since when do people need a marked calender date (a date without any real significance) to show that they really care about their significant other? That's pathetic. You're like the form letter of showing that you care for your partner. Take your heart shaped boxes full of chocolate and stick 'em.
Seriously, Fuck you,
The Admiral.
Seriously, Fuck you,
The Admiral.

5 Comments:
You disgust me. Being troubled by social trends toward superficiality and commercialism is no reason to allow other people's inadequate expressions ruin my opportunity at profound symbolism. I do not tell everyone that I love how I love them every day. Neither do you [should be capable of love at all]. Any reminder to express your affection should be welcomed and encouraged. Rejecting Valentine's Day because of other of people's emotional poverty of hypocrisy is to reject every ideal in the face of a troubled world. It is to accept the Inferno:
"The inferno of the living is not something that will be; if there is one, it is what is already here, the inferno where we live every day, that we form by being together. There are two ways to escape suffering it. The first is easy for many: accept the inferno and become such a part of it that you can no longer see it. The second is risky and demands constant vigilance and apprehension: seek and learn to recognize who and what, in the midst of the inferno, are not inferno, then make them endure, give them space."
[Calvino, Invisible Cities]
My dearest IAZ,
I'm sorry if I offended you with my stance on Valentine's Day...
See, that's one of those fake Canadian apologies where I say it, but don't really mean it. I'm not saying that you need to tell the people you love that you love them every day, but if you need to wait around for Valentine's Day to come around to express how you feel about someone, well, that's pretty sad. There are much more meaningful ways of showing someone you love them than buying roses and a lovely card with a pre-written message once a year. Why not make their favorite meal for them after a hard day, give them a hug when they look like they need it, or just buy them a thoughtful gift for no reason at all? Doesn't that hold more weight? I believe it truly does.
I believe your quote from Invisible Cities only enforces my view point. To accept the annual token act of Valentine's day, to endorse the glossing over and falsification of real emotion, to accept that chocolates and flowers on the same day every year is what expression of love really is, THAT is to accept the Inferno my friend. Isn't it much more risky to step back from such purely parcipatory acts and take time and put effort into showing how you really feel about someone on just another regular day? Shouldn't random acts of affection and love be encouraged, protected, and given space to grow? I believe it is.
Also, I reject your hypothesis that to reject Valentine's Day is to reject all ideals. I reject Valentine's Day because it does NOT stand for an ideal; V-Day has come to stand for a commercial image, an image that is only all flash and dash and completely lacking in substance. Believe it my friend, love isn't doves and a red lacy heart, or a naked cherub shooting arrows at random strangers. If you have managed to keep it real on this superficial holiday, then good on you! I applaud you, and all others like you. But, you know, I'm just willing to bet that your extremely thoughtful actions might have had a bit more meaning on the 3rd Wednesday of January (which to the best of my knowledge was just a regular Wednesday).
Your friend who is incapable of love and whom disgusts you completely,
The Admiral
p.s. I love you buddy.
Awright, kids, break it up...
Apparently we're all single here.
naked cherub shooting arrows at random strangers
No, That's pretty much love right there. I would (wait for it)... LOVE... to see something like that. Wander downtown and see this rosy-cheeked little kid with a cute carbon-fibre bow and heart-tipped arrows, slinging them off at whomever he feels needs a heart-tipped arrow in the thigh.
It would be legendary.
There is my substitute for the valentines' day rant you might have been expecting.
Single, survivor of a few heart breaks, but wiser for the experience.
Post a Comment
<< Home