Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dear owner and proprietor of the Chinese market near my house,

$4.01 - That was what the cash register said. I did the token dig around in my pockets (quite conspicuously, I might add), followed by the obligatory "Sorry, I don't have the penny." And I even gave you a big smile for good measure. Now, I realize that Canada is not your country of origin, but there are certain customs that you just do not break.

You don't, for example, give me 99 cents in change. And then examine my fiver for 30 seconds to ensure that I am not giving you an oh-so-common counterfeit five dollar bill.

Next time, just give the loonie. Or those 99 cents in change will find themselves embedded in your BMW parked out back.

Warmest regards,

Rob

3 Comments:

Blogger leanne said...

What an un-Chinese thing to suggest. I would hope, in this day and age, for improved cultural understanding.

After travelling the world and being exposed to lots of people from all walks of life, you should know by now that Chinese are completely cheap-ass.

(Why else would I take so little alcohol to get really wasted? It's racial cheapness, embedded in my genetic code...)

7:04 PM  
Blogger Wayfaring Rob said...

Wicky wacky Wu, I knew you would have a comment on this. Is it too much to ask, even in the cultural mosaic that is Canada, for all cultures to come together and join hands (metaphorically, of course) around a few traditions? Dammit, what is being Canadian all about if not giving up the 1 cent on a $4.01 purchase? Is it too much to forego racial stereotypes in the interest of becoming a better citizen? I mean, I don't expect Londoners moving to Canada to still be assholes... oh, no, wait...

1:13 AM  
Blogger leanne said...

Dunno.

In the spirit of being very Canadian yet quite Chinese-cheap, I'd have been looking longingly at that little change dish too.

Getting rid of that racial frugality is a bit much to ask, 'cause it's so deeply ingrained.

And really, other steps have been made in cultural understanding. I think we've bridged the gap on a lot of the small things in life.

As a stellar example, at least the average Chinese person in North America doesn't think of "animal rescue" the same way they would as in, say, my dad's home province, where the term would apply if you found something fuzzy and cute...in a restaurant kitchen.

(By the way, Rob, I really need to introduce you to my uncle's stinking, ugly, mangy, bad-tempered mutts. Who are at least, still un-eaten.)

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home